Games Based Coaching
The second workshop available as part of the BBFA Coaches Network programme of learning is now available to book.
Across the next six weeks, learners from across the County will have the opportunity to attend a workshop on “Games Based Coaching” at one of four separate locations near them, as well as an introductory online session for all learners to attend.
The “Games Based Coaching” workshop will challenge learners to consider the advantages of using games in training sessions as opposed to the traditional line drills that we all recognise and pose questions such as; are drills realistic to the game? How many players are working at any one time and how many are waiting their turn? Football is an invasion game - are drills?
The workshop will ask learners to assess where goals are scored from, and reflect on how we as coaches can allow players to practice these types of finishes.
Tutors will use shooting as the topic to demonstrate the benefits of using a games-based session to recreate the chaotic environment that players realistically face when trying to score. What types of finishes can we include in our practice so that players are developing a variety of techniques. Can this happen in the traditional ‘line drill’ of the past when players wait their turn for a set and shot on the edge of the box?
The first session will be held online and will serve as an introduction to topic. It will provide a platform for coaches to share and formulate ideas before they progress to the second part of the workship, the practical session, which will be delivered face-to-face at multiple locations across the region.
The first session is FREE to all learners who want to take part and will take place on Wednesday 10th November, 7:30pm-8:30pm online using Microsoft Teams. (Coaches do not need to attend the online session in order to attend the practical workshop.)
The second part of the workshop is held face-to-face and focuses on the practical delivery, providing physical examples to help support coach development.
Schedule of Events
'Games Based Coaching', Workshop 1 (Online Delivery):
• Tues 23rd Nov 7:30pm-8:30pm Mick Lewin Microsoft Teams, Online Book your place
'Games Based Coaching', Workshop 2 (Practical Delivery):
• Mon 29th Nov 6pm-8pm Mick Lewin Ascot (South) Charters School Book your place
• Wed 1st Dec 8:30pm-10pm Adam Colley MK (North) Fairfields Sports Hub Book your place
• Sun 5th Dec 2pm-4pm Mitch Woodward Marlow (East)- Redgrave Sports Centre Book your place
• Tue 7th Dec 6pm-8pm Local Tutor Reading (West) Farley Hill Primary School Book your place
Workshop 1 - FREE of charge for all learners
Workshop 2 - FREE for BBFA Coaches Network Members (£15 for non-members - find out how to become a member, below)
Join the BBFA Coaches Network
Are you interested in becoming a member of the new BBFA Coaches Network…? Membership for the season costs just £35 and gives you access to:
Minimum of 5 local face-to-face workshops at a venue local to you throughout the season:
• Variety of Topics including Games based Coaching, Fundamental Workshop & Introduction to Goalkeeping workshops
• Exclusive access to Community Group to access resources and session plans
• Opportunity to network with BBFA and other coaches in the County
• All workshops will be FA approved unless stated with Development Hours added to your FAN record
• NEW- Exclusive access to recording of the 2021 Bitesize Coaches Conference which took place in September 2021 with Pete Sturgess & Emmerson Boyce
For more information about the BBFA Coaches Network or coach development in general, please contact Berks & Berks FA Football Development Officer, Richard Brant via Development@Berks-BucksFA.com
Alternatively, for more information about the BBFA Coaches Network, please click here.